Trang was an important sea port of southern
Thailand. According to legend the ships always arrived
at morning, which lead to the name of the town - Trang
derives from the Malay word for dawn.
According to cultural records Trang used to be one
of 12 satellite towns that came into existence 900 years
ago, but it was only during the era of King Rama II
that the place was recognized and the province got its
first governor. The first Westerner to arrive in Trang
was Captain James Low in 1838 to negotiate commercial
Actually, the town was located in the Khuanthani (now
a tambon in district Kantang). In 1893, the then governor
Phraya Ratsadanupradit Mahison Phakdi, planning to make
Trang an important seaport to the west, relocated the
town to district Kantang which is at Trang River delta.
It was moved again to its present location 26 km inland
in 1916 by King Rama VI due to repeated floodings.
The Trang area was the first area of Thailand where
rubber trees were planted, brought there by governor
Phraya Ratsadanupradit Mahison Phakdi from Malaysia